Tuesday, May 18, 2021

"Do you remember that one time when we literally ran into each other at Whole Foods? Let's not let another five years go by before we run into each other again."

 I was sitting at my dinning room table and the internet had just kicked.  My oldest home from school because of a football injury the day before.  I had just given him permission to download Fortnite after he had begged me for a solid 6 months.  I restarted the router and my phone made the noise it does to tell me I had a Facebook messenger message.  It was your sister.  She needed my phone number.  I gave it to her and she called.

She told me you were gone.  She told me what her mother had found.  I asked what I could do and she gave me a list of people to contact. But when I hung up all I could think to do was go and sit next to my son on the couch.  He asked me what had happened and I told him.  He asked me if I was OK and I said, "No.  But I will be.  If it is OK with you I am just going to sit here and hug you for a minute."  And sat together that Monday morning on the couch. Watching the Fortnite download approach 100%.  Me knowing that my life was forever altered by your absence.

No comments:

Post a Comment