Monday, May 17, 2021

"Wouldn't it be cool to have a cafe in Deering Oaks again?"

 I am returning my Target cart when I pass you.  25 years since I have seen your face.  More then that since we dated in high school.  Both of us searching for something to hold on to.  I pause for a moment. "Tim," I say.  "Hi."  You recognize me right away and we exchange the pleasantries of two people who had not shared the history we have.  By the time I am back in my car my hands are shaking.  I am 14 again and lost in your eyes when I hear a tap on my window.  You are standing outside my car holding a cigarette as though no time has passed.  I get out and face you.

"I have wanted to say I'm sorry for so long."  You say.  I shake my head.

"There is no need."  But you insist.  Saying it again and again.  Apologizing for all that was said and what wasn't said.  We learn that after all these years we live by a mile apart.  Both married.  Wounds we had both forgotten lay open before us. 10 minutes later we have said goodbye and I start my car and turn for home.  The ice cream I bought for the kids surly melting in the trunk.  As I pull out of the Target parking lot Another Auld Lang Syne by Dan Folgerberg comes on the radio.  Random on any day, but today it brings me to tears.  All the things you think you would say to your old lover caught  just on the tip of your tongue.

No comments:

Post a Comment