Monday, January 19, 2015

"I love the east for many reasons, but sunrises are definitely at the top of the list."

 In my dream I am driving a car that is not mine.  I think I am alone in the car and I am driving on a road I have never been on before.  It is dark and my headlights barely illuminate the road in front of me.  Suddenly the road is dirt and the road beneath me is bumpy and a figure seems to materialize in my headlights.  I feel in the bottom of my stomach that I should be afraid, but I am not.  In fact I am calm.  So calm that I roll down my window.  The night air is so similar in temperature to me that I barley register the breeze on my skin.  

The figure stops and turns and I smile when I see it is you.  You left us just a few days before, living well beyond the original estimates of your doctors.  You smile back at me, 

"Keep your headlights on me hun," you say.  And I do.  I drive behind you with the window down, your familiar gate leading the way.  It is slow going but I am not impatient.  After what seems like both forever and as though no time has past we reach a small house next to the dirt road and you go inside.  I stop the car and follow you in through the open front door.  The house seems to create rooms as you walk through them and after a few moments you turn to me,

"I think I will be OK here," you say to me.  And you smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment